That is one good thing about this world ... There are always sure to be more springs.
~ L.M.M. Montgomery
Ah, spring! It is so good to welcome you. Yes, the temperature is still in the 40s and the forecast is calling for a chance of flurries but, somehow, the air feels different. Hopeful. Pregnant with the promise of warmer days. Walking with Popeye, I find myself relaxing, exhaling, releasing pent-up muscle tension from days of fighting against the cold. The sun warms my face, and I rejoice in the fact that I have been able to trade in my parka for a cozy fleece jacket.
Ah, spring, I love you so!
Onto what is making me happy now...
- This podcast. Hosted by screenwriter and children's book author John August, Launch is a new series about making a book. It has been interesting to hear about his book's journey from being a spark of an idea to being published this past February.
- April is Poetry Month, one of my favorite months of the year. A few years ago I had the good fortune to attend a poetry workshop facilitated by Naomi Shihab Nye. Her interview with Krista Tippet, Your Life is a Poem, reminded me of why I love her work so much.
- A friend of mine (hello, Leslie!) introduced me to 500px, a photography blog that is "committed to building a safe, inclusive, and helpful community for everyone to share their love for photography". I love to stop in from time to time to view the beautiful work being posted.
- I cannot wait to read this book. Tomi Adeyemi has written a West African YA fantasy that has been receiving rave reviews and debuted at #1 on the New York Times Best Seller list. In addition to being an author, Tomi also blogs and teaches online creative writing courses on her website.
- This song. Every month Lin-Manuel Miranda collaborates with artists and records a song with new Hamilton lyrics. This month's song features Ben Platt (Tony award winner for Dear Evan Hanson), and a portion of proceeds go to the March for our Lives Initiative. I can't stop listening to this song.
What have you been listening/reading/watching recently? I'd love to know!
Toward those short trees
We saw a hawk descending
On a day in spring.
- Masaoka Shiki